October 22, 2011

Countdown to NaNo Warm-Up #1 -- The Cookie

Ten Creative Writing Prompts in 10 days!
10 days until NaNo!


The Cookie
I looked at the clock as I strolled into the office. 8:33. Eh, not too bad for leaving 10 minutes late. I walked past my mailbox. Empty. I love when my mailbox is empty. Less work to do before my second cup of coffee. I dropped my bags on my desk and chair and went to the kitchen in search of more coffee.

When I returned to my desk with a steaming cup of java in my hand, I saw something on my desk. Was this here earlier and I missed it or did someone just put it on my desk in the past 5 minutes?

I look at it closer. It's a cookie. I look around. No one is watching me. No one is walking around with a basket of cookies, delivering goodies to everyone in the office. I look at the cookie again. Chocolate chip. Mmm. It smells good. I wrap it up and put it in my desk drawer to save for after lunch. An hour later the cookie is calling to me. What's wrong with a mid-morning snack? Nothing. And I eat it.

The next morning I walk into the office to find another cookie on my desk. I asked my co-worker next to me if he got a cookie. He said no. I asked him if he saw you put this cookie on my desk. No again.

This continues for weeks. And months. I'm grateful for the cookie every morning and I've wondered if maybe I was being poisoned. I wasn't getting sick even after eating the cookies everyday for 3 months.

Then, one day, I come into the office and instead of the usual cookie sitting on my desk there is a deck of cards with a note attached. The note reads "Meet me tomorrow night at 7:30. 325 W. First Street. When you walk in, ask for Smith."

My curiosity won out over my apprehension. The day crept by. The next day was worse in anticipation for what was coming in just a few short hours.

Finally, I was standing in front of 325 W. First Street. The sign read Bengal's Bar. I looked at my watch. 7:33. I walked in and was greeted by an attractive woman who was dressed all in black. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a tight pony tail. "Hello" she said with a smile showing off her bright white teeth. "Can I have the name please?" "Yeah, umm. Smith?" I cleared my throat trying to read her reaction. "I mean, I think." I sounded as unsure as I felt.

"Great!" she said with another bright white smile. "Follow me please."

She led me through the dark bar. I looked straight ahead as I followed her, weaving through tables and chairs. She took to me to back of the room to a red door. "Right in here, sir. I'll send a server in to check on you in a minute." Bright white. She tossed her hair and strolled off. I stood there staring at the door for a minute. Why was I here? What was I doing? I checked my cell phone. No missed calls. No new messages. 7:36.

I opened the door.



1 comment: