October 16, 2011

Day Zero #23 Learn how to bake bread/Sundays in the Kitchen - Bread

I just HAD to try out my new KitchenAid stand mixer. It was a wedding gift and I love it! I decided to try making bread. I had never made it before and I learned a few things along the way for next time. 

The recipe I used is from the KitchenAid mixer book.
Ingredients:
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 packages active dry yeast
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups very warm water

First I had to make sure I had some good jams going. This is a crucial step. I decided to play songs from our wedding since I was using a wedding gift.

Next I gathered all of my ingredients together. I am notorious for starting a recipe and then realizing I don't have all of the ingredients.

I put the dough hook in my KICK ASS mixer.

Now. On to the mixing.
5 1/2 cups of flour, the sugar, salt, dry yeast and butter all go into the bowl.

Turn the mixer to speed 2 and slowly add the water. Let it mix for about 1 1/2 minutes. It will look like mush.

Continue mixing on speed 2 and gradually add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time. The dough is ready when it is clinging to the dough hook and the sides of the bowl are clean.

Tightly wrap the dough in plastic wrap and then wrap that in a towel. Let rest for 20 minutes.
I made the mistake here of not wrapping it tight enough. The dough will rise (duh) and if it's not wrapped tight the dough will pop out the sides. Oops.

Next, the recipe calls to pull the dough apart in half. (The loaf pans that I had were smaller than what was stated in the recipe so I separated the dough into thirds.) Roll out the dough to get rid of bubbles and shape the dough into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and brush each loaf with oil. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-12 hours.



Pull loaves out of the refrigerate and let sit for 10 minutes.

Bake at 400 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and let cool.

Mmmmmmm! This was a hit in my house. Warm bread with melted butter. Yummy! I will definitely be making bread again. Next time, I need to get actually loaf pans and a rolling pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment