September 24, 2011

BMI Bunk

For years we've been told by doctors and other health professionals about calculating and watching our Body Mass Index (BMI) as a way to making sure our weight is in a healthy range with our height. I, myself, have followed to find my healthy weight range and as tool to know if I need to lose more weight or not.

But I wonder. How many of us have considered this situation:
Image from the CDC's BMI website











Not me until a few days ago when this article was brought to my attention:
CLICK here to read what NPR says are the Top 10 Reasons why BMI is bogus.

Basically what NPR is reporting is that BMI calculations are not scientifically based and do take take waist size into account, which is the main cause of weight-related health issues. They also go on to say that BMI was introduced by a mathematician, not a physician, who wanted to use BMI statistics as a way to measure the obesity levels of the general population in order to assist the government in deciding how to allocate resources. It was not intended to be used by physicians as a way to calculate whether an individual was underweight, ideal weight, overweight or obese.

There are other and better ways of measuring an individuals body fat and subsequent health related risks, but they are more costly and many physicians rely on the 200-year old BMI calculations instead.

I am by no means using this research as a scapegoat for my own personal body composition. I am overweight and there is no doubt about that. I was, however, using BMI ranges to determine what my goal weight should be. I had thought that 140-150 llbs. would be a realistic and healthy weight for me. Turns out by BMI ranges, it should be more like 125-130 llbs.

So what does this all mean? To be honest, I don't know. I'm not a doctor and have no background in the medical field. I do my research along the way but in the end, I trust my doctor. I guess if I ever look like the man on the left up there in the picture, then I'll have something to worry about.

For more information about BMI Myths, check out this site from LIVESTRONG.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/349290-bmi-myths/

Resources:
CDC
http://www.obesitymyths.com/myth1.2.htm

NPR
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

2 comments: