October 3, 2012

Writing Prompt Wednesday - Don't shoot!


Version #1:
Yes, Doc, I know you think I should have a flu shot. You are not going to believe this but as I was driving home from work the other day I came across an accident scene. The police weren't around yet so I pulled over to see if I could help or at least offer my cell phone for someone to call for help. It appeared that the victims in both cars were going to be OK;  only a few bruises and scratches. Within minutes the police and ambulance arrived. Out of the ambulance jumps this very young-looking man. He's holding a few covered needles in his hand as he runs over to me, and gives me a shot of something. Ouch! I look up and yell "What was that?" He said that since I was in the car accident it was better if I had my tetanus shot. "I wasn't in the accident, you moron. I just pulled over to help." He immediately grabbed me by the arm and handed me off to his supervisor. He told his supervisor what happened and as the supervisor's eyes were getting wider and wider, the EMT ran away.

Someone came from behind me, picked me up, and threw me in the back of the ambulance. Before I could ask what was going on, the ambulance sped off. At the hospital, the doctor there said I had too much medication in my system and they were going to have to go in through my veins and suck some of it out. The doctor asked that while he had a needle in my vein did I want the flu shot now. I didn't see a reason why not so the doctor gave me the flu shot then and that's why I can't get a flu shot today.

Version #2:
Yes, Doc, I know you think I should have a flu shot. You are not going to believe this but I come from a long line of people who believe in old wive's tales and superstitions. Like, did you know that it's bad luck to broil chicken before noon? My great-great-great grandmother didn't know this and one day she decided to make an early lunch. She's had bad luck ever since. Or did you know that if you tie the laces on your right shoe first, then someone you love will suffer? My great-aunt didn't know this and when she went out for a jog and tied her right shoe first, her husband suffered from anxiety for the rest of his life.  But also, did you know that if you get medical assistance in any shape or form on a Thursday it's the same as walking under a ladder or breaking a mirror. And today is Thursday. I tried changing my appointment. I had them schedule me for a different day and then they called at the last minute and scheduled me for today. They insisted that you would only see me today, so I came in anyway so that I wouldn't get charged the $50 cancellation fee. And that is why I can't get a flu shot today.

I think I like the second one better.

(NaBloWriMo Day 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment